So the other day, I was driving home from work, and got to where I pull in to my apartments..and laying on the curb was a girl on her side (probly about 15-17)...nobody was around, and she was seizing. I parked my car instantly, and ran to her. (calling 911 while parking). I get to her, roll her on her side, and just hold her hands together so she wasnt throwing them around hitting me..and also so I could keep my fingers on her wrist on her pulse. Her brother soon came running up (FREAKING OUT, mind you) so I handed him my phone so he could talk to 911 (secretly I was hoping they'd help calm him down, cuz I did not need him spazin out on me). Next, I could tell that the girl was starting to come out of her seizure, but then she stopped breathing..and I seriously felt her pulse just disappear. I pushed her onto her back and was yelling at her, lightly smacking her face......
then, I began CPR. like real cpr, on a real person. I didn't hesitate, I didn't think twice about what to do, I just started doing it. It was probably a few minutes (hell I really don't know how long it was, beceause I was so caught up in the moment), but I could hear the ambulance coming and right as they were pulling up, she started coughing. I GOT HER HEART TO START AGAIN! At that moment, I was just waiting for her to come back, and when she started coughing and coming to, I was just like ok that is exactly what I was waiting to happen.
The emt's all loaded out and took her into the ambulance and the girl had no idea what was going on so she was freaking out and confused, but at that time two other of the emts came up to me to ask me questions and stuff.
they were also like "so you're a nurse aren't' you?" and I was like "uhhh, no. I"m in nursing school..but don't even start any of my real detailed nursing classes till next month". and they were like "well, you deff have what it takes..if you weren't here, this girl would probly be dead and I doubt we coulda started her heart by the time we got here...ya never know, but you did save this girl's life..so far.".
I wasn't shaking. I didn't freak out. I knew just what to do (for what little training I have at least).
The guy also mentioned how he always see's emt's, doctors, nurses, etc, just freeze when they get their first code..and the fact that I didnt, deff shows something.
When I was walking back to my apartment though, it hit me all at once..all the adrenaline kicked in and my hands were shaking and then I started to actually think about what just happened..it was one of the best feelings ever. I knew right at that moment that I no longer have any doubts on if I'll actually be happy being a nurse..I KNOW I'll enjoy it, because that feeling is awesome. I can't wait to experience it again someday. So much better than working in a pharmacy.
Now all I gotta say, is I really better have some damn good karma coming my way :P
HAHA :)
To update, Jon should be coming home next month :))))))) Finally the light at the end of the tunnel of this deployment is coming into sight.
I think tomorrow I'm gonna go get my hair done...lots of low-lights I'm thinking, so hopefully I can pull of darker hairrrr, I'm nervous. But still have time before Jon comes home to switch it back if I hate it!
I love my life <3 Life is way too short.
Wow. What an inspirational story. Thank god you were in the right place at the right time!
ReplyDeleteWow that is awesome! You were definitely at the right place at the right time! And go you for knowing exactly what to do & actually doing it! I hope you have some GREAT karma coming your way:)
ReplyDeletewqow girl thats amazing!
ReplyDeleteWOOO! Good job!! That's awesome!
ReplyDeleteGreat job!!!
ReplyDelete